Today, we will share with you on warning signs of computer addition. In this present computer age, both adults and children are faced with “dangers”. Besides searching for information and doing online projects, they are also exposed to:
- Infringement of copyrights for downloading or movies/songs/others
Warning signs of computer addiction:
- Do you often find yourself staying online longer than intended?
- Do you often neglect school work or other social activities to spend more time online?
- Do you often form new relationships with fellow online users?
- Do your family members often complain to you about the amount of time you are spending online?
- Has your academic performance suffer because of the Internet activities?
- Do you become defensive or secretive when anyone ask you what you do online?
- Do you often block out disturbing thoughts about your life with soothing thoughts of the Internet?
- Do you often anticipate when you will go online again?
- Do you often fear that life without the Internet would be boring, empty, colourless and joyless?
- Do you often snap, yell or act annoyed if someone bothers you when you are online?
- Do you often feel preoccupied with the Internet when offline or fantasize about being online? Depressed, moody and nervous when offline?
- Do you often say “just a few more minutes” when online?
- Do you often try to cut down the amount of time spent online and fail?
- Do you often try to hide how long you have been online?
- Do you often choose to spend more time online than going out with others?
If your answer is yes to the above questions more than 8 times, then you or your children are definitely addicted to the computer.
Consequences of Addiction
- It will destroy the family relationship, especially with loved ones
- It makes one lose touch with reality, that is where to draw the boundary line between virtual world and reality.
- It brings unhappiness – a thrill that NEVER satisfies you enough
- It has negative consequences, that is you reap what you sow. Example, by neglecting your studies, you would expect only poor results.
- This will definitely destroy your future, goals and plans. It is a high price to pay.
Practical strategies to prevent or counter computer addiction
- Keep the computer in a place accessible to all
- Agree to a time limit for computer use outside school/work hours
- Deploy quality time away from the computer – pursue common interests/hobbies and sports with friends and relatives
So parents, we hope you find the above tips useful. If you suspect your child or spouse is inclined to computer addiction, ACT NOW before it is too late.